Sunday, September 12, 2010

A change of taste

Here's my latest on the food front.  Since my illness a few weeks back, I noticed that I can't eat anything with any kind of heat. That is pepper, chili, garlic, onion, etc.  Forget the spices.  My tongue isn't going for them. They really burn and I can't take it. 

So, this means my salads are now different and lighter. I still love my bell pepper salad dressing, but I'm now using less spices in it.  I put in a bit of basil, a pinch of salt and a tsp. or so of extra virgin olive oil and that's it. The bell pepper has so much flavor it doesn't need much else. This is a change because before my illness I loved adding garlic, balsamic vinegar, etc to it. Now I can't even think about it.

So this has me thinking that my last illness was a cleanse and not stress related since my taste buds have gone through this change. It is kind of like when I loved Lara bars then all of a sudden they were too strong for me and I couldn't stand all the flavor in them; they were overwhelming to my taste buds. 

This time I can't even eat my favorite olives because I can't take the strong taste. Yesterday I made what I thought was a mild version of Mediterranean Black Olive & Walnut Tapenade (pg. 288, "The Complete Book of Raw Food", second edition).  I've made this many times mixing some green olives in it and loved it.  However yesterday, I could only eat small amounts on the lettuce wrap instead of the big globs like I used to enjoy. It never occurred to me when I started eating raw how much my taste buds would change. 

What changes have you noticed in yours if you are on the raw food program?

No comments:

Post a Comment