Thursday, September 2, 2010

A brief history of my health

Since this is also a journey for physical health as well as spiritual, I would like to start with my story about my physical health.  I'll keep it as brief as possible.

Physical health has always been an issue with me. I have a long history of illnesses.  As a youth, I became a vegetarian.  I believed that was the way to health.  But I found out it really wasn't.  I still got all kinds of illnesses.  Doctors were, also, always a problem for me.  I used to ask them how I could prevent getting sick. None of them knew.  All they knew was what meds to give me that would suppress my illnesses so I appeared to get well.  It was only later that I learned that the meds don't really heal, but add to my health issues later on.

I found lumps in my breasts when I was in my early 40's.  I thought for sure I had cancer.  Luckily, they were only cysts that needed to be drained occasionally.  But who wants to live with that?  I quit drinking coffee, eating chocolate and other things the doctor suggested. That didn't help.   My doctor put me on the pill which later caused more cysts.  I got really mad and stopped taking them.

About the same time, I got irritable bowel syndrome.   I couldn't understand why I was having all these problems.  I was a vegetarian and that was considered a  healthy diet, right?  I knew about raw food. I knew in my heart that it was an even better diet than what I had been eating.  But, I didn't try it because I was the only vegetarian in my family and that was hard enough. I believed it would have been awful trying to become raw.  I wasn't ready to take all the flack from my family.  That turned out to be a problem in my own mind.  Seven years later, when I did turn to raw food as my last resort for healing, it was easier than I thought.  My family was skeptical, but supportive.  My cysts that the doctors didn't know anything about went away within 2 months.  The IBS that I was suffering took more time.  My colon was in pretty bad shape. Still, after about 5 months of drinking lots of  fresh juice and eating a high raw diet, the IBS seemed to have gone away. 

It took me a year to stop eating some cooked evening meals. The food I ate throughout the day was raw, but meals with my family usually included a large salad and a little of what I cooked for them.  The more I read about the raw food eating program, the more I wanted to eat only fresh unprocessed and unheated food.  I finally did it after a long talk with my husband.  That was six years ago.

I love what I have gotten from the diet.  I no longer get IBS, I don't have cysts in my breasts anymore, I don't get bronchitis 3 or 4 times a year anymore; I don't get it at all!  I had a thyroid problem that caused heart palpitations; that's now dormant unless I eat cooked food for a couple of days.

What I've learned, is if I eat something cooked once, I'm usually OK.  But if I eat cooked meals several days in a row, symptoms begin to return.  This happened last month when my friend was visiting me from the States and I ate at lots of restaurants; I live in Panama where I met someone who considered herself a vegetarian if she ate chicken but not beef.  I went off the program somewhat and got lots of symptoms.  I was really sick and grumpy.  Now that my health has returned, I have no cravings what so ever at this time. I want only simple food; not spicy, salty or complicated. I found that the gourmet raw that I love is now too rich.  In the last couple of days, I couldn't even finish eating the meals no matter how good they tasted. 

I think that's enough for now.  That's seems long! More later.  Now you now know lots about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment