Sunday, September 4, 2011

My new hero

Part 1

Most of the people I know are between the ages of 50 and 100. That's because I'm a missionary in a West Indian church in Panama. None of them look this healthy. All of them are on meds, most of them have sugar (diabetes) and pressure (high blood pressure). Some are still quite attractive yet suffer many subtle symptoms from their illnesses. I've known people who have gone in and out of the hospital and have watched friends grow so weak they die. I have lost my three dearest friends due to illnesses: two were in their 60's, the other was 79. One of my favorite persons has been in the hospital since the day after Father's Day. Last time I visited him, he was in intensive care and looked very weak; he's only 69. All lived on a standard Panamanian diet.

Like Mimi Kirk, I want to be healthy as I age. I don't want to take any meds, have aches and pains, or other symptoms of getting old. I know I am getting old, but why be unhealthy. As I continue to search for a healthier lifestyle in my final years (I'm 58) I am encouraged by Mimi to keep doing what I am doing and continue getting better.

Part 2

It is clear that feelings of love, affection, closeness and compassion bring happiness. I believe that every one of us has the means to be happy, to access the warm and compassionate states of mind that bring happiness. In fact, it is one of my fundamental beliefs that not only do we inherently possess the potential for compassion, but I believe that the basic or underlying nature of human beings is gentleness. --The Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment