Sunday, October 31, 2010

Compassion

The lesson from my e-class suggested taking on a practice such as cheerfulness, calmness or compassion.  I chose compassion.  As I do with everything else, I decided to see what I could find online about compassion.

I went to Audio Dharma Talks  to hear what I could find on compassion and listened to a series which had 2 wonderful guided meditations.  I also found this article on compassion and Bodhicitta.  In it, I learned there are 6 perfections: giving,  ethics, patience, joyous effort/perseverance, concentration and wisdom. Through the practice of these 6 perfections, one develops compassion. 

Because I'm also a Christian, I wanted to find Bible verses that would match the perfections and I found many.

Here are two:

Matthew 10:8
Freely you received, freely
give.

Colossians 3:12-17
  12  So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of
compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;  13  bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever  has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.  14  Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.  15  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.  16  Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  17  Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

I really like Colossians because not only does is talk about compassion, patience, and wisdom, kindness, humility, gentleness, being thankful, and unity are also mentioned. Those are also qualities that are important to relationships. Christian behavior is clearly spelled out in Colossians. And it corresponds with the ethics of Buddhism; at least that's how I see it.  What do you think?

True religion is the life we lead, not the creed we profess.

Principles above personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment