Thursday, October 28, 2010

Workout week 2, 5 Precepts and 10 Virtues

Now that I decided to stop doing the Plyometrics workout, I can concentrate on the other four: Kenpo, Shoulders and Arms, X Stretch, and Core Synergistics.  Those are still my morning workouts, alternating them 4 days a week. Saturdays are my sleep in days, so I do about a half hour of stretching.  Of course, I'm still doing Liangong about 4-5 days a week in the evening while watching Oprah. 

I have noticed how weak my thighs are and am working strengthening them.  They are getting slightly stronger in the time I've been doing Liangong.  My knees usually hurt when I go up stairs. However, last Friday as I went up and down the stairs several times at the school in which I teach, I observed how painless it was.  Now I am motivated to work even harder on strengthening them more. I have a long ways to go before the muscles begin to grow.

Now that my Mindfulness class has come to an end, I am looking forward to taking a class about studying with the Dalai Lama. I don't remember the name of the class exactly, but it has 40 lessons coming 3 times a week. That will be almost a 14 week course.

Sylvia taught the top 5 precepts and the 10 virtues in our last week.  I first learned about the precepts from Judith Ragir.  Both women explain them in easy to understand language which I like.  Judith suggests  taking on one precept at a time for a certain amount of time such as a month or a year before taking on another one. Sylvia suggested to write them on an index card, placed strategically on the bathroom mirror for easy daily reading.   I like that idea and therefore, they are on the tiled wall just above the toilet paper roll to remind myself daily about their intentions. The post-it didn't stick to the mirror.

The five precepts are:

1. I undertake the precept to abstain from harming living beings.

2. I undertake the precept to abstain from taking anything not freely given.

3. I undertake the precept to speak wisely, not exploiting or abusing.

4. I undertake the precept to express my sexuality wisely, not exploiting or abusing.

5. I undertake the precept to keep my mind clear of confusion.

The 10 virtues are:

1. Generosity
2. Morality
3. Renunciation
4. Wisdom
5. Energy
6. Patience
7. Truthfulness
8. Determination
9. Lovingkindness
10. Equanimity

I listen for direction now.

If you keep doin' what your doin' you'll keep gettin' what your gettin'

No comments:

Post a Comment