Friday, November 5, 2010

This weeks recipe: Layered Zucchini Tabouli and Hummus Salad

I eat lots and lots of bananas every day, usually in the form of green smoothies.  However, I was out of bananas yesterday and the ones I found at the store were not quite ripe. In search of something to eat, I came across a Raw Tabouli recipe by Ani Phyo, a wonderful raw food chef whose dishes are quite tasty.

Of course, because I live in Panama, buckwheat for sprouting has been impossible to find. Therefore, I used zucchini that was in my fridge as a substitute.  In doing so, I came up with a delightful salad that is easy to make. This dish can be served two ways, as a roll or as a layered salad.  I enjoyed them both.  My measurements are imprecise because I really don't measure much when I prepare food. 

Layered Zucchini Tabouli and Hummus Salad

Layer 1:
Shredded romaine lettuce or leave it whole for a wrap.

Layer 2:
Raw Zucchini Tabouli

1 1/2 cups gartet zucchini
1/4 cup chopped fresh spearmint or mint
1 small tomato, diced or diced soaked dried tomato
1/2 cup cucumber.
squeeze of half a lemon or more to taste
1 -3 Tbs. Olive oil (prefer 1 Tbs but the original recipe asks for more)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup olives (my favorite are black olives)

Mix together and set aside. You may chill 1/2 hour before serving.

Layer 3:
Raw Cucumber Hummus

1 cups almonds (the original recipe suggested to soak them)
1/3 cups or more tahini
1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic or pinch of granulated garlic (I can no longer handle garlic so I opt for the granulated. You may prefer the cloves.)
Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
1/4 cup fresh spearmint or mint

Process in the food processor with an S blade.

Putting it together
For layered salad:

Place on a plate a layer of chopped romaine lettuce or other lettuce of choice.
Next place a layer of the Zucchini Tabouli.
Top with the Raw Cucumber Hummus.

Serve and enjoy.

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Live for today. Yesterday’s history. Tomorrow’s a mystery.

1 comment: