Friday, November 5, 2010

Learning compassion through giving

I checked my stats and since I haven't had any traffic in over a week, I figure I can just write whatever I want.  However, I will continue on my journey whether I have readers or not. For this is a self searching process that I'm willing to share with those who are interested. Also, if you visit, please don't just lurk.  I would love to hear from you.

As I go through the class with the teachings of the Dalai Lama, I find I'm really drawn to learning about Compassion.  I found teachings of compassion through the Ten Perfections on line. 

I know I wrote about practicing the Six Perfections below. Seems like there's as many differences in Buddhism as there are in Christianity. The Ten Perfections I got from audiodharma.org are:

1. Generosity (Dana)
2. Virtue (Sila)
3. Renunciation (Nekkhamma)
4. Wisdom (Panna)
5. Energy/Vigor (Viriya)
6. Patience (Khanti)
7. Truthfulness (Sacca)
8. Resolve (Adhitthana)
9. Lovingkiness (Metta)
10. Equanimity (Upekkha)

Whereas the Six Perfections are listed as:

1. Giving
2. Ethics
3. Patience
4. Joyous effort/perseverance
5. Consentration
6. Wisdom

I'm looking into Generosity/Giving for the next couple of weeks.  What I have learned  so far, it's about sharing willingly.  That is, it's best "performed when the giver is 'delighted before, during, and after giving.'"

It's giving without expecting anything in return. The intention behind Dana is to give "out of good will or desire for someone else's well being."

How does fit with Christianity?

Jesus asks us to be giving in the same way God freely gives to us. Here are some examples.

Matthew 10:8
Freely you received, freely give.

Matthew 10:12
12  "As you enter the house, give it your greeting.   13  "If the house is worthy, give it your blessing of peace.

Matthew 19:21 NAS
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Matthew 20:4 NAS
  4  and to those he said, 'You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.'

Mark 10:21 NAS
Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Luke 6:30 NAS
30  "Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back.   31  "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. 

Luke 6:38 NAS
38  "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure -pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

We see that giving is something God wants us to do.  Give away our material items and follow God.  God also wants to give to us if we only have faith and believe.

The practice:
For the next 2 weeks, practice the art of sharing and generosity. Journal how you feel before, while and after you give.

There are many paths up the mountain;
    the view from the top is the same.



There is only one corner of the universe I can be certain of improving, and that's my own self.

1 comment: