Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Six Perfections part 2 of Giving

 


Here I am trying to practice compassion and when given a perfect opportunity to do so, I did just what I didn't want to do.  I treated someone unkindly which was not really my intention.  So, I practiced metta towards that person. It was someone I most likely won't see again, but still, at least I can send him blessings.
Boy Giving Food To A Homeless Man photo
The second part of giving tells about how it's not just things which we give to others.  And it's not just the act of giving.  It's the "the strong decision to give freely, without avarice."  It's the attitude, our state of mind, the strong desire to give to others, to help others. 

The act of giving has more to do with the purity of mind than what is being given. Author Geshe Rabten Rinpoche names four categories of giving:

1. The giving of property: giving our things freely and willingly
2. The giving of Dharma: giving with a pure mind
3. The giving of refuge: Helping those in danger
4. The giving of active love: Wishing to give happiness to all beings.

Romans 12: 20
But there is another text: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; by doing this you will heap live coals over his head

You have to give it away in order to keep it.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment