Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas songs during Advent

Is it OK to listen to Christmas songs during Advent? This is something that has been an issue since my husband became a priest about 13 years ago. Before he went to seminary, we listened to lots of Christmas music throughout Advent. Somehow, over the past 10 years, it became an issue; it wasn't Christmas so no Christmas Carols until Christmas. We also celebrate the 12 days of Christmas where Christmas Carols are allowed. These end on Epiphany, the Three Kings Day which we celebrate at the church.

So here's an article by Dennis Bratcher who, like my husband until today, prefers to put off Christmas caroling until Christmas. For Dennis, it's a matter of hope, a period of hope before the birth of Jesus and the real celebration is Christmas day, the day we glorify the birth of our Savior.

For me it's about hope that the world needs to continue. Hope that our lives will improve with the blessings of God. Hope that we can do God's will today and everyday. Hope that we live one day at a time and in the now, not in the past or in the future so we miss out on today. Hope that we learn to treat each other with kindness, compassion and as equals because God loves each of us the same. The grace of God falls on each of us.

Part of my discipline is to treat each person as a person God loves. I have various people to whom I give alms. However, there's one guy who is always asking for alms, and I just want to run away from him. There was always something that truly bothered me about him. Knowing that I am to treat each person with dignity and give alms to those who ask, I decided to give him his quarter. That's what we usually give hear in Panama. Once I became willing, I didn't see him where I usually do. The other day, there he was. I reminded myself that I would give him alms and as usual, he came up to me. I gave him his quarter and he was genuinely surprised and grateful. I smiled and said "Vaya con Dios" and in that instant I could see his humanity, I could feel love and compassion for him.

So what does this have to do with Christmas music? Well, I know no one reads these posts, so I figure I can write anything I want as a diary and know they will be secret. I brought up the Christmas music because much to my surprise, my husband is listening to our iTunes' Christmas play list. We have another week until Christmas and we're listening to The Bob's "Too Many Santas," James Brown Christmas, The Bells of Dublin, and "Carols from a New and Old World." I love those songs and I hope to listen to them until Epiphany even though we will be living in the States where they don't celebrate it like they do here.

I pray that everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.  If for any reason someone other than me actually comes to my site and reads this, I hope you drop me a line and let me know.

May you have many blessings throughout the rest of our life and all future lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment