Thursday, July 7, 2011

two great recipes

So far I have tried two recipes from the 5 in 5 video contest which I mentioned in my last post. The ones I tried were Nut So Sloppy Joe's which I found quite good, but lacking something. Could be I didn't put in enough cayenne because I had no chipotle or I needed to use more sun dried tomatoes. None the less, it was quite good the next day.

Tonight, I made Angela Salvucci's Tropical Fruit Cobbler with a kick. Wow! Wow, wow, wow! It was excellent! I live in the tropics so mangos are in season and really cheap right now. Also, pineapple is easy to get and cheap for me, too. So here's the recipe of today's winner thus far:

In a pie plate toss 2 cups each thinly sliced pineappe and mango.

In a food processor grind to a medium coarse crumb:
1 C almonds
1 C Medjool dates, pitted (Mine weren't medjool and I soaked them a while before using)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Set the crumble in a small bowl. 

In the same food processer, place some of the pineapple and mango mix (I did about a quarter to a half cup).  Add:
2 pitted and soaked dates (I used 4 because my dates were small)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 tsp or less of cayenne.

Process and pour on fruit. Lightly mix. Place crumble on top and press down.

This really didn't take that long to make. And WOW! It was worth it. It's my new dessert when mangos are in season. Right now she's on the top of my list. But I have other recipes to try this week still.

With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment