Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Three Lazinesses & The Three Confidences

In reading from The Six Perfections Part 1, I saw that there are The Three Lazinesses which are opponents of perseverance. I am a pretty lazy person. I can sit in front of the TV and do sudoku all night. It doesn't matter what else needs to be done: washing dishes, sweeping, exercising, sewing, ironing, fixing something, whatever.  I would rather just sit on the couch playing sudoku.

The Three Lazinesses are good reminders to help me get up and take action.

1. The Laziness of Putting off Dharma.  I do study the dharma daily. So this isn't a problem for me. I love reading and learning about it. I would like to hone in on one thing rather than all the aspects of it that I'm learning. That is why I'm focusing on the 6 Perfections right now. 

2. The Laziness Arising from Attachment. I'm still attached to some worldly pleasures.  I know I can't take them with me when I cross over. These are things that I realize I will lose at some point and will give up. I'm just not ready to give them all up yet.

3. The Laziness of Discouragement.   I lived most of my life feeling discouraged.  Since being in recovery I found encouragement. I found a support system I never dreamed I would have.  However, once in a while, something will trigger those old feelings of discouragement. I try to be vigilant in watching out for them.  I try to live one moment at a time in hopes to continue on my path of healing, serenity and joy.

The article discusses how discouragement keeps us from living the practices.  I'm not discouraged at all. I'm encouraged as I learn more. If I want enlightenment, I got to do what they did to get it; I gotta learn what they know to get it. I'm not concerned how many lifetimes it will take. As long as I practice one day at a time, I will get there.

Feeling discouraged only results in loss and doesn't bring benefit for gaining liberation.
---The Buddha


***
The Three Confidences

These are the three prides of Confidences which the article suggests we meditate on.

1. The Confidence of Action. "Thinking of achieving the path by ourselves alone without depending on any helper." This is the  pride of thinking we can achieve this on our own. On the other hand, we must not be proud, so it sounds like a fine line to me. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Liberation depends on oneself—there is no such thing as another helping in this.
--Nagarjuna


2. The Confidence of Capability. "We should practice by thinking, 'I am capable of achieving the purpose of myself and others.'"

3. The Confidence of Delusion.  Here we are to discourage negative thoughts and delusions by avoiding them and not letting them win us over. "If we have this pride then even the great opponents, non-virtuous actions and delusions, cannot hinder us. Therefore, it is necessary to gain such confidence."

By gaining confidence with perseverance, it is difficult to be controlled by great opponents. If the mind is firm, the moral falls are prevented.
---Nagarjuna

No comments:

Post a Comment