Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dry Fasting

Have you heard of dry fasting?  I never did either until about 6 years ago. A person on the Raw Food Support forum was practicing it daily until about 12 noon.  I thought he was crazy to do that.  I couldn't imagine not eating breakfast.

Later I heard the term "delaying meals" until around 11:00 AM or 12:00 noon was a great way to cleanse the system.  You could do this daily with no ill effects.  The morning, I was told, was when our body did a lot of cleansing.    

A few years went by and the book Quantum Eating by Tonya Zavasta came out and once again, the idea of dry fasting came up. This time, as Tonya suggests, you stop eating in the early afternoon and break your fast in the morning, say around 6:00 AM or so.  I never read the book, but have heard some really positive remarks regarding it.  It's on my list of books to get once I'm back in the States.

So, a couple of years ago, I decided to delay my first meal each morning until noon or there a bouts for 90 days.  What I noticed was that my tongue changed from having a white coating to being red.  I considered it a great success;  there was no more weird taste in my mouth, I could taste food better and I didn't need to use as many spices for flavoring my meals. 

Right now, I decided to go another month of morning dry fasting.  Although many raw food gurus suggest to stop eating meals around 6:00, I tend to eat later.  My last meal ends around 9:00. Therefore, I'm usually fine by 12:00 noon. I've been delaying my first meal each morning for a week now and notice my latest canker sore is going away quicker and never got as bad as some of the others. I've been getting canker sores regularly for about a month.

So why am I getting canker sores?  I believe it could be another means of detox.  I haven't had them in years and I find it interesting that even though my diet hasn't changed in the last 5 years, they are appearing with a vengence.  I don't believe in the idea that they come from lack of nutrition.  It's just another method of detox.

So, hopefully, the new dry fast will help relieve me of them once and for all. Only time will tell.

You can't speed up your recovery, but you sure can slow it down.
Situations I fear are rarely as bad as the fear itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment