Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reading labels



For some reason I was under the impression that Larabars were raw. Where did I get that impression? In many bars they have only 3 ingredients which is great. Usually dates, a nut and a fruit or salt. Peanut Butter Cookies, for example, are dates, peanuts, and salt. OK. I can deal with that and eat it. However, it doesn't say it's raw. The bar is labeled as vegan and dairy free. Another bar consists simply of dates, almonds and unsweetened bananas. That, too, I can deal with and will eat.

I did find that not all of them are equal. While shopping with my mom at Target, I found Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip bars for $5 for a box of 5. Being excited that I could pick them up for so cheap, I bought them. What I didn't realize was that the chocolate was not raw cacao. It's made up of "unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla." Well, that's what happens when one does not read the ingredients and assumes that just cuz one bar is vegan, raw, and dairy free. I will not make that mistake again.

What will I do with all the bars? Well, I decided to take them to church and serve them during coffee hour to all those who don't care what they eat. It will be my contribution to the church.

Can I make my own bars? Why of course. According to Test Kitchen Tuesday, I can easily make them so I will. This way, not only will I know they are raw, I will save a lot of money. Angela of Test Kitchen did the math and the savings will be tremendous. She calculated that it would cost between $.29-$.58 a bar vs. $1.29-$1.49 a bar.

The chief ingredients in the composition of those qualities that gain esteem and praise, are good nature, truth, good sense, and good breeding.
Joseph Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment