Saturday, May 28, 2011

Vacation & eating raw food

I was off in Boston for the last month and haven't been able to post.  I found it really hard to stay 100% raw during that time. I was freezing and wanting something warm to eat and drink. So I broke down and ate baked potatoes regularly.  I'm home now and working on getting back to at least 95% raw again.  I got papayas growing in the yard and been enjoying them. 

Today I bought apples with the intention of making Bakalava. It's Bruce Horowitz's recipe which I have yet to do right. I don't know about you, but when recipes are written from the biggest ingredient to the smallest, and the order for processing the recipe is different, I always make errors.  Therefore, I think I'll rewrite the recipe to suit either my brain's interpretation (I like things listed in exact order of action) or rewrite it in the way in which I ended up making it.

This is how I made the recipe and it was still delicious:

In processor mix:
2 C pecans
1 C raisins
1 cut orange, rind included
1/2 C honey
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt (I use kosher salt)

Process and set aside.

5-6 firm apples (My favorite are Fuji's)
1/2 C lemon juice

Core and half apples. With spiral slicer (Use wide blade), slice apples into thin wedges. (I don't have a spiral slicer, so I used a knife to do that which worked just fine.) Mix with lemon juice.

Layering:
Place a layer of apples in a 8"X13" Pyrex followed by a layer of pecan and raisin mix. Repeat so you have 3 layers of apples and topping. Top with cinnamon.

That's not exactly what  Horowitz's recipe says. He says to mix the nuts and honey separately. In that way you have 3 different layers times 3.  I like the way mine turned out. You can make any changes to suit your taste buds.  It's a great lunch.  Yummy!

Write a gratitude list and count your blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the way I made it as I wrote the recipe on the blog. I ate it within 2 days. Today I tried it the way it was written by separating the pecans from the orange mixture. I find I prefer the way I did it originally. I also like less rind taste which I did the first time, too. I put honey into the orange mixture to sweeten it up a bit.

    So, you can try it both ways to see which suits your taste. I know which way I'll be making it again next time.

    ReplyDelete